Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glue formula

glue formula

I think I read somewhere a few years back about mixing elmers glue an a little water in a squirt bottle to spray on the ballast to hold it together an from being sucked off when cleaning the layout.

Anyway, could somebody give me the correct proportions of water an glue for this, or have I even got this right? I'm old an my memory isn't as good as it once was...haha

Thanx,
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Toolman View Post
    I think I read somewhere a few years back about mixing elmers glue an a little water in a squirt bottle to spray on the ballast to hold it together an from being sucked off when cleaning the layout.

Anyway, could somebody give me the correct proportions of water an glue for this, or have I even got this right? I'm old an my memory isn't as good as it once was...haha

Thanx,
    Ron
    It can vary, it's usually 1 part glue to 2 parts water or 1 part glue to 1 part water. The more water, the longer it takes to dry.

I would recommend though to not spray the glue mixture but apply it with either a syringe or eyedropper or pipette. You can spray the wet water or rubbing alcohol mixture, though I've found out it's much cleaner if you apply that with a syringe/eyedropper/pipette as well.
    Metro Red LineUnder the streets of Los AngelesCheck out my N scale layout blog!

Ron:

Spraying glue from a bottle: 3:1 water to glue (with a few drops of dish soap) though I think I have read 5:1 and 2:1. I tried a few different ratios and had the best luck with 3:1, but I wouldn't recommend using a spray bottle since you really lose control with where it goes (unless it's a really big area) and instead suggest using a pipette, which are generally used for mixing paint.

Best success for me. Eye dropper/Pipette: 2:1 to 1:1 water to glue (and some dish soap) depending on the 'flow' needed.

Hope that helps, have a great day!
    Gregory

Ron,

I was going to mention, but Greg has already - dishwashing liquid. Two or three drops in the mix is said to help it spread. I'm told, too, that it helps concrete in cold weather, but don't let the foreman see you using it!

Regards,

Pete Davies

I just put some ballast down last night using 1 part mate medium and 8 parts water. I used a 50:50 mix of water/70% alcohol as a wetting agent as seen in this video. I use both eyedroppers and syringes.

Gary
    N Scale the Normal Scale© Greenbriar Delta & Rutland web site So many projects, so little time, The GD&R on TrainBoard. My other interests.

The more I think about it, the more I think you guys are right. I had just read about the spray bottle an never thought about an eye dropper/syringe. I don't know what a pipette is though?

Think I'll go with the eye dropper, I have one of them

Thanx Guys
    Ron

Yes Thanks to Toolman for asking the question, was going to ask the same one :tb-smile:
    Cheers!
    Adam
    Home of the Unreliable and Recycled RR.

Blog Entries
    No spray, please. Sooner or later, and probably sooner, you are going to glue your turnouts. It will not be pretty.

I have found the following to be a good method;

1. Lay the ballast (stay away from the turnout points) and brush out so there is nothing sticking up above the ties.
    2. Use either alcohol or dishwashing detergent to break the surface tension. Otherwise, the ballast is going to float up towards the ceiling. You may spray this or use an eyedropper. If dishwasher stuff- one or two drops per quart is enough. Shake before using, blow away bubbles.
    3. Elmer's white glue- NOT the school glue which will dry with a shine- You can dilute to half and half or thereabouts. There is no exact formula but the more water you use, the longer to dry. The less water, the more likely it will neither spread properly nor be absorbed downward into the ballast. Let it dry thoroughly, like a day or more.
    4. THEN- go over your work inch by inch with a magnifying glass after you have wiped the tops of the rails down with a rag with alcohol to get rid of glue that hit the tops of the rails. Remove any ambient pieces of ballast that have migrated away from where they belong and will interfere with operations.
    Proud Owner and Operator of The LESSONS LEARNED LINE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    No spray, please. Sooner or later, and probably sooner, you are going to glue your turnouts. It will not be pretty.

I have found the following to be a good method;

1. Lay the ballast (stay away from the turnout points) and brush out so there is nothing sticking up above the ties.
    2. Use either alcohol or dishwashing detergent to break the surface tension. Otherwise, the ballast is going to float up towards the ceiling. You may spray this or use an eyedropper. If dishwasher stuff- one or two drops per quart is enough. Shake before using, blow away bubbles.
    3. Elmer's white glue- NOT the school glue which will dry with a shine- You can dilute to half and half or thereabouts. There is no exact formula but the more water you use, the longer to dry. The less water, the more likely it will neither spread properly nor be absorbed downward into the ballast. Let it dry thoroughly, like a day or more.
    4. THEN- go over your work inch by inch with a magnifying glass after you have wiped the tops of the rails down with a rag with alcohol to get rid of glue that hit the tops of the rails. Remove any ambient pieces of ballast that have migrated away from where they belong and will interfere with operations.
    We should make this post a "How To" if one is not already listed.

Boxcab E50
    Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (#1,10,11,15)-
    (GEC-ES #12, 18, 25, 51, 55, 64, 67 ,68, 79, 89, 90, 93, 110, 119, 127, 132, 136, 138)
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

DO NOT use dish soap!!! Use alcohol as a wetting agent..When alcohol dries,it's gone,when soap dries,it's STILL soap..The glue won't truly harden,and it will be sticky,and attract dust.I use a baby aspirator to put it down.It's a small blue bulb used to clean their nose out,available in any drug store,also used as an ear washer.I put a little red tube from a can of carb cleaner in it.Use Matt Medium,it dries totally dull.Mix it about 40% glue,20% water,40% alcohol.[93% alcohol..] I usually flow 50/50 alcohol/water into the ballast from the side first,then after it's damp,I flow in the glue.If you're careful,you can go right down the middle of a 2 track main,and never go near the track..