Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe D'Amato View Post
    I still do both. I keep z for the shows and noodling around, but for a home layout I am doing N scale because so much is available and I can see it a bit better :o) I've been through the phase of wanting to scratch build everything and you know...it never happens. So I take the best of both and am enjoying the hobby a whole lot more. I move between the scales (even some HO) and do the things I like.
    Cheers

Joe
    MTL
    Happy New Year Joe:

Since you are an MTL employee, then perhaps you can answer the question as to why MTL hasn't bothered to produce utility cars such as a working crane, tool car, and other such equipment found on every railroad in the world? It would seem to me that if MTL is going to product boxcars, tankers, etc, then going the extra mile to produce the other less seen cars as well. Forgive me if I think MTL has been a bit short sighted on this.
    I also don't get why MTL produces GP9's in certain road name, but doesn't produce a GP35 or SD40 in the same road name? Makes sense to me that if you're going to do one, you should do them all. That gives a much broader choice for those who want it. It would take very little to set it up. Since all of this is done by automation and conveyor, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to put the GP35' and SD40's or others on the same run as the GP9's then run them altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by pray59 View Post
    That's why i got into Z in the first place, because everything has already been done in N Scale, where in Z, You could do something before anyone else.

I had the worlds first Z Scale GP30, kitbashed from a GP35, one day after the first release arrived. Nothing really amazing, but a first, and that in itself is satisfying, which is why others are into Z too. Blazing new trails with models nobody else has! :D
    I don't do kitbashing although I know a lot of people here do. It's just something I have no desire to attempt.

Happy new year back at ya.

First, while manufacturing is somewhat automated the paint schemes are not. All hand work including the masking and printing. Sales are not stong enough in z to warrent doing too many road names on a loco each month...just the nature of the beast. I'd like to release like the big boys do in n and ho, but our market is different. And while AZL will normally do a new body style in multi road names, their manufacturing is in China where doing that is cost effective and to their advantage. I suspect the runs are smaller for each road name than ours, but they can put out a lot of names. Also, several of the engines have been done in all body styles...F7, gp 9, gp 35 and SD-40-2...SP, UP, CN to name a few...others, due to weak sales have us looking to expand the road names to smaller roads to better serve the community. You also have to factor that some roads had all these engines and some did not...another limiting factor.

As for MOW...no market at all in Z...or N really. How many cranes are you going to buy and how many 50' boxcars are you going to buy...the question answers it'self. We did the scale test car in N and it was a poor performer. We have to think in terms of number of units possible and the number of road names we can exploit. A heavy lift crane is an eye catcher, but I wouldn't need more than one regardless of the road name. I do need a fleet of 40' boxcars in all flavors and styles. Simple really. Not to say someone can't do it on the low end and provide some nice stuff...but for our business plan, it wouldn't be feasable.

Thanks for the input though

Cheers

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by newtoscale View Post
    Happy New Year Joe:

Since you are an MTL employee, then perhaps you can answer the question as to why MTL hasn't bothered to produce utility cars such as a working crane, tool car, and other such equipment found on every railroad in the world? It would seem to me that if MTL is going to product boxcars, tankers, etc, then going the extra mile to produce the other less seen cars as well. Forgive me if I think MTL has been a bit short sighted on this.
    I also don't get why MTL produces GP9's in certain road name, but doesn't produce a GP35 or SD40 in the same road name? Makes sense to me that if you're going to do one, you should do them all. That gives a much broader choice for those who want it. It would take very little to set it up. Since all of this is done by automation and conveyor, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to put the GP35' and SD40's or others on the same run as the GP9's then run them altogether.
    Keeping my head down

Feasible Business Plan.

Dear Joe at MTL,

With your companies business plan, do you think it would be "fesable" to produce some more 220mm Straights? Any new upcoming track releases?

CSX - GLDV
    -PuppySnacks- 1:1+1:220

[QUOTE=newtoscale;753187]Happy New Year Joe:

Since you are an MTL employee, then perhaps you can answer the question as to why MTL...........

Joe answered your question from a business stand point, but really didn't touch too much on the production methods.

I've toured the factory several times and I'm amazed at the tremendous amount of hand labor that is required to put out these cars and locos.

Simply put, there is no way the company can provide all the wanted road names and specialty cars you mentioned and make any profit.

Z really is small not only in scale, but in overall sales of all scales.
    Remember, Z is really only in its infancy compared to the larger scales.

Perhaps 20 years from now Z will be mainstream in the numbers as N and HO and other scales are now.
    Loren Snyder
    Stonebridge Models

Blog Entries
    JanJuranek;

Welcome to TrainBoard!

Boxcab E50
    Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (#1,10,11,15)-
    (GEC-ES #12, 18, 25, 51, 55, 64, 67 ,68, 79, 89, 90, 93, 110, 119, 127, 132, 136, 138)
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Well I guess then it is unrealistic to expect these items to be produced by anyone anytime soon. Too bad because I could use at least one snow plow for my layout since the bulk of it is all mountainous terrain. And the area I'm modelling is prone to heavy snowfalls and avalanches and it is not uncommon for snow as much as 20 feet deep to cover the exposed tracks.
    Perhaps I should take another look at Marklin's crane and tool car. Maybe there's a way to convert it to a north american style crane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoscale View Post
    Perhaps I should take another look at Marklin's crane and tool car. Maybe there's a way to convert it to a north american style crane.
    I don't know what era you are looking at, but Tichy Trains has an N scale crane and boom car in kit form that you may be able to cut down or bash into something useable in Z scale. In N scale, this is a small-ish crane, much more appropriate to the 1920s-1940s than now, but maybe you could update its looks a bit and when you scale it out to Z it will already be bigger. You'd probably be cutting down the width of the cars and then putting on your favorite couplers and trucks anyway.

Just an idea. I built one of these sets (tool car, crew car, boom car, crane car) just when I was getting back into the hobby and it worked out pretty well for me.
    Secret Compliance Ninja *** Visit Portland Area N-Trak. *** Visit Logging and Mining Fans and Modelers.
    (GIFs courtesy of David Epling)

I made a couple of conversions about 15 years ago from marklins- not exactly prototypical but better than nothing.
    TrainBoard Attached Thumbnails TrainBoard Attached Thumbnails REDWOODS 047.jpg   P1010037.JPG  

One way or another I will have a MOW train. I am sooooo waiting on those heavyweights to come out. Strip them, cover a couple of windows, paint them a faded orange and a silver roof, add some smokejacks and weathering, and there you go. Maerklin crane I am still fiddling with, it might be beyond my skill levels.
    I am still toying with the idea of adding some RSLASER windows and doors and adding them to an old style reefer or boxcar, to make MOW cars. I know it's done in HO, perhaps somone else will take the plunge.
    I am pretty sure that I am one of those that have been accused of wanting,wanting,wanting stuff from the main companies. I know that a few years back, on open forums, I was one of those who cried for new cabeese, and was politely told it would not be possible to produce, as who would buy more than one? (Try to get one, they are sold out the same day they come out)
    I also remember crying about no steam, an RDC or doodlebug type of set, and probably a few other things. If it wasn't for some unforseen problems we would have those thing now (and I hope in the near future)
    I really don't know if the sqeaky wheel gets oiled or the nail that sticks out gets hammered in the Z world, but I will still want, want, want, and I can be ignored, or a happy coincidence will happen and POOF, I will get my wish.