Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question SW1500 Switcher Concor Kato Rivarossi SW1200: Quality and Wheel Sets

4001Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe2418blue/yellow
    doese anyone know anything about this switcher.r they any good

I have two of those switchers. They work fairly well if you run wires between them; otherwise they stall on some frogs or trackwork that is slightly irregular. Art

will the front one run by itself

The cabs are wrong on the shells, and they may or may not run well depending on which mechanism is under the shell (these were originally made by Rivarossi for Atlas around 1970 or so, and later were sold by Concor with at least one of the mechanisms made by Kato).

EMD Diesel "Cow & Calf"

Mark
    ===========================
    Coming soon: N&W Coal Car decals in N scale

Mingo Models - N&W Hopper Decals

its the one by Atlas (Rivarossi)

You sure it's the Rivarossi? Is the motor where the fuel tank is,a big round one? With the weight in the cab,it looks like a Kato/CC.The Rivarossi is pretty much poop,I've only seen one or two over the years that were even worth running.The Kato/CC isn't too bad,they're smooth,but start pretty fast...

no just going by a pic and description

Personally, I prefer the newer Atlas/Kato/tehachapi/leavitt SW1500.

I have one of those by Con-Cor, and have to agree with Lou on the fast start! Takes mine quite a bit of voltage to start. But quiet, and pulls my cars ok
    Home of the Unreliable and Recycled RR.

The unit pictured and inquired about appears to be a Rivarossi SW1500 Cow and Calf with the Kato mechanism. The only tell is the solid zamac mechanism blocking the cab windows. On the Rivarossi unit the cab windows are a little more open.

A post on the Atlas board described this model best. The Rivarossi mechanism was like a lady who changed her mind and personality every day. The Kato unit is more consistent and has more drawbar strength along with the usual Kato performance characteristics.

Ken "Floridaboy" Willaman