Back by popular demand!
The Moderators of the Layout Design Forum are proud to host:
The Second Annual International Winter Layout Party
Since the first one in Spring 2002, the Layout Parties have traditionally been hosted in the Layout Design Forum.
Why International? Trainboard has members from over 75 countries around the world, so the Layout Party draws its participants from throughout the international community.
Why Winter? Threads for the 6 Layout Parties held in the Spring had 180 to 240 posts. The 2009 Winter thread had more than twice as many posts…so we decided to arrange another Winter Layout Party. (If the Layout Design Forum moderators receive enough requests between mid-February and mid-March 2010, we will host a 2010 Spring Layout Party starting in Late-March 2010.)
We know you're out there!Yeah, you… and you… and you with the potato chip hanging off your lip and the half drunk beverage sitting beside you. We know you're not working on your layout as much as you hoped to.
You may have ideas for a new project that you always wanted to try but never got around to. Or there is a stack of kits on your workbench you’ve been meaning to start. Or you have a partially completed project that has been neglected for far too long. Or you have an almost-finished project that just needs some final fine-tuning and attention to complete.
The purpose of the Layout Party is to provide recognition, encouragement, and support to all participants who are working on a layout project and inspiration to those following others’ progress in the thread. We hope to have a group of people who will post about the work completed on their layout at least once a week for 8 weeks. We will, of course, congratulate those who have worked on their layout, and encourage those who haven't.
The kick-off date is Friday December 18th 2009, and the Layout Party will end on February 21, 2010, the 3rd Sunday in February.
This Thread will be temporarily locked until
the official start of the Layout Party on
Friday, December 18th 2009
Rules for The Second Annual International Winter Layout Party thread:
1. In your first post, please include descriptions of:
2. At least once each week, post a brief description and/or pictures of your progress--or lack of progress, so far, and what you hope to accomplish in the next week.
- your layout (brief),
- the area of your layout that you intend to work on (“before” pictures, please…if available), and
- a description of what you want to accomplish in the 8 weeks of the Layout Party (don't make it grandiose).
3. At the end of the Layout Party, post a description and/or picture(s) of your accomplishments.
FWIW: Some observations and suggestions:
Many participants have enjoyed this format and have commented that they accomplished more work on their layout in the short time we ran a Layout Party thread than they had in long time. Many members posted pictures, asked questions, moaned about problems, and encouraged others who were working through their frustrations. Check out these links to our past layout parties.
- Life Happens. By joining this group, you are already acknowledging that you haven't worked on the layout as much as you know you should have or could have. The idea here is for us to have some fun and act as an electronic support group so we can each get more done on our layouts.
- Make a firm commitment to post at least once each week about progress on your layout project.
- If you fall off the Layout Project Work Wagon, acknowledge it by reporting it honestly.
- Then climb back on the Layout Project Work Wagon. Declaring exactly what you plan to work on during the next week will help you get back on the Layout Party Work Wagon.
- When we have others coming over to see our layouts, we tend to get more done because we plan and prepare better, and then actually follow through so we have something to show our visitors and can garner some strokes for all our efforts. Posting in the Annual Layout Party works in much the same way…we plan, prepare, and follow through a little better when we know someone will be seeing our progress.
- If you encounter difficulties on the layout project, remember that the other participants and all the Trainboard members following the Layout Party thread can be a resource for encouragement and problem-solving.
- If you have any problems posting pics, let us know so we can do appropriate problem-solving.
2009 - First Annual International Winter Layout Party
2008 - Spring Layout Party
Sixth Annual International Spring Layout Party - TrainBoard.com
2007 - Spring Layout Party
Fifth Annual International Spring Layout Party - TrainBoard.com
2005 – Spring Layout Party
2004 – Spring Layout Party
2003 – Spring Layout Party
2002 – Spring Layout party