Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions re roads, curbs and sidewalks using styrene

So I'm trying to model the roads and parking lots on my layout using sheet styrene and have some questions.

1. I read some people modelling roads higher than the surrounding grade. They'll put in a subroadbed I guess to raise the road a bit.

My uneducated observations tell me that roads aren't always above grade. I've seen plenty that appear to be right at ground level.

For those that aren't, do you think it's work the extra effort in N scale to try to model that?

2. For sidewalks I was thinking about using a slightly thicker sheet of styrene (I was going to use .20 or .30 for the road itself) and just apply a strip of the appropriate length to the edge of the road, and then score it to make it look like sidewalk sections.

Any tips for doing this? What thickness of styrene do you think would look right for the sidewalk?

3. For curbs (where there is no sidewalk) I saw the idea of using strip styrene glued to the edge of the street. Again, any suggestions on this? Any suggestions as to the size of the strip to use?

4. Finally, while it makes sense to depict the sidewalk and curb tops higher than the road surface, on the side away from the road it won't look right to have a drop off. I suppose I could fill that in with a little spackle or just plain ground foam/static grass and taper it down away from the sidewalk/curb, but I'm wondering if that will look stupid.

Note, this part of my layout isn't on foam so I can't easily cut down into the surface.

Thanks for any suggestions.

This should help you a little bit. http://www.lancemindheim.com/roads.htm

Quote Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern9708 View Post
    This should help you a little bit. http://www.lancemindheim.com/roads.htm

That's helpful, although I wish he described how he did the entrance to the parking lot with the raised curb/sidwalk on each side. That's what I'm talking about.

There is a company that makes N scale sidewalks, curbs and yes, narrow and wide parking lot curb cuts. I use these extensively for sidewalks. It costs a bit, but makes it easy!

Even if a road is in a cut through a hill, it will have a small ditch beside it to drain water. Road builders never let runoff cross pavement.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Rossford Yard View Post
    There is a company that makes N scale sidewalks, curbs and yes, narrow and wide parking lot curb cuts. I use these extensively for sidewalks.
    And the name of that company would be..... ?

Bar Mills makes N scale sidewalks. Their web site is www.barmillsmodels.com. I've seen their sidewalks listed at N Scale Supply and Brooklyn Locomotive Works (BLW). Approximately 400 feet is under $10.00.

John

John

Quote Originally Posted by nolatron View Post
    And the name of that company would be..... ?
    Senior moment there....but its EZ Streets, which is odd, since they make mostly sidewalks. It ought to be EZ Walks, shouldn't it? Either way, good stuff.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by KenPortner View Post
    2. For sidewalks I was thinking about using a slightly thicker sheet of styrene (I was going to use .20 or .30 for the road itself) and just apply a strip of the appropriate length to the edge of the road, and then score it to make it look like sidewalk sections.

Any tips for doing this? What thickness of styrene do you think would look right for the sidewalk?
    Evergreen makes styrene sheets that are pre-scribed for sidewalks:

Sheets

The 1/4" grid is a bit over 3 feet wide in N scale, which is a fair approximation of a single-width or residential sidewalk. And the .040" thickness gives a "curb height" of a little over six inches--a bit tall, but tolerable. That's how I did the landscaping on my Area 53 module:

The roads and parking lot were printed on the computer, heavily Dullcoted, and glued to thin styrene.
    Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
    L o r d Z o x @ a o l . c o m
    Meade Area Railroad Society (MARRS): http://marrsweb.org
    It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

Quote Originally Posted by Rossford Yard View Post
    Senior moment there....but its EZ Streets, which is odd, since they make mostly sidewalks. It ought to be EZ Walks, shouldn't it? Either way, good stuff.
    Jeff,

The company that makes EZ Streets is apparently S&S Hobby products.

I looked at their stuff but it doesn't appear they make N sidewalks. (they do make N asphalt streets).

Any idea if you were thinking of another company?

Smile

Easy Streets is made by Fine N Scale.

Dick Billings, proprietor.

Feather River Trains has a page of the items. I'm still looking for some photos.

There is an H0 scale Easy Street, but that is a track system.

This is the Fine N Scale easy Street system. It has a lot of detail like curb drains, etc.

Here is another view. Montgomery Ward is modeled after the store in Long Beach, CA which is now gone.

Kitbashers...UNITE!
    Please support Trainboard's advertisers. Order from a banner add today!
    Visit My RailImages Album