Model Railroad Items | Railroad Books | Railroad Art | Railroadiana | Slides
G Scale | O Scale | S Scale | HO Scale | N Scale | Z Scale

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maumee and Western Railroad

Quote Originally Posted by ConrailDan View Post
    I dont know how much traffic they move. It cant be that much, I did notice one customer in Defiance that had one covered hopper in it. The remainder of the business in Defiance appeared to be storage cars. The railroad runs east to Napolean, OH and west to Fort Wayne, IN. I know at one time the line ran up to Liberty Center, OH and crossed the I &O r.r. on a diamond, but that track has been abandoned. I dont believe they go all the way into Ft. Wayne though. I do know that derailments are rather common on this line, cause I think about a month ago they had an engine flip over on its side do to the rocky track. I think i heard about this from the trainorders website.
    Yeah they did, I have some good pictures from the cleanup/recovery of the rolled over engine, the derailment occoured just as the ice storm was getting started. We had to clean up the spilled fuel from the engine.

More to follow

I dont know how much traffic they move. It cant be that much, I did notice one customer in Defiance that had one covered hopper in it. The remainder of the business in Defiance appeared to be storage cars. The railroad runs east to Napolean, OH and west to Fort Wayne, IN. I know at one time the line ran up to Liberty Center, OH and crossed the I &O r.r. on a diamond, but that track has been abandoned. I dont believe they go all the way into Ft. Wayne though. I do know that derailments are rather common on this line, cause I think about a month ago they had an engine flip over on its side do to the rocky track. I think i heard about this from the trainorders website.

They come into Napoleon at least once a day, sometimes twice. There are several customers here in town in the industrial park, 2 cold storage facilities, a chemical storage facility, a plastic molding plant, and a drainage tile plant. Usually they are only pulling 4-5 cars at a time, sometimes they have a "super train" (for them) of 15-20 cars.

I remember back 10 yrs ago when there was an engine stationed in Napoleon strictly for switching reefers when those cars ran hot and heavy. Mostly frozen vegetables for Campbell's V8 plant.
    The only thing I want with "CSX" on it is my paycheck

So does anyone have any idea how much revenue freight they handle a year?

Well after looking through several documents on the internet I've found that they don't say. These are two closet documents to telling anything about their income.

http://www2.dot.state.oh.us/ohiorail...rovedBrief.htm

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/emplibrary/...ion%202003.pdf

Alright after doing a little digging I think I can give you a rough estimate of revenue generated. According to this site <http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_n7s6p> Wabash Central generates 370,000$ a year. Then according to document B <http://www.rrb.gov/pdf/bcd/bcd08-46.pdf> the WBCR contributes 30% of GPB's(Apparently the operator of the MAW WBCR and CN & C)revenue and the MAW 45%. So by taking 370,000 dividing it .30 then multiplying it by .45 they appear to generate 555,000$ a year. Now there is probably something seriously wrong with these assumptions and calculations but for now its the best I can do.