Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Looking for Small N scale Refinery Ideas

I'm looking for ideas and photos of anything on small refineries to scratch build for my small N layout. I'm thinking of something similar to the Cornerstone Series(R) North Island Refinery or the Petro/Chemical Refinery in the Walthers Catalog.

I'm a hardware packrat and I have drawers full of unusual items that I've collected over the years simply because of their size, shape or usage and I should have enough stuff to make a Refinery. It doesn't have to be a "Refinery" per se, just something with storage/pressure tanks and of course lots of piping.

I also really like the Cornerstone Blast Furnace and I would defiantly buy it if it was half the price.
    Johnny B

My Latest Layout Blog - "I get no respect" Rodney Dangerfield

TrainBoard member Carl Sowell has a really well done small refinery on his layout. He has a few pictures of the model in his "N Scale Scenes" album in Rail Images. Here's a link to the album:
    http://www.trainboard.com/railimages...ry.php/cat/859

Here's one picture, and there are a couple more on the second page of his album:

Regards

Ed

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne in "Sands of Iwo Jima"

See my RAILIMAGES album

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    TrainBoard member Carl Sowell has a really well done small refinery on his layout. He has a few pictures of the model in his "N Scale Scenes" album in Rail Images. Here's a link to the album:
    http://www.trainboard.com/railimages...ry.php/cat/859
    Regards

Ed
    Thanks Ed,
    Wow, that is fantastic. I'll bet this took some time to build. It's even got steam come out of the stacks. I'm guessing that its about 13" to 14" wide from the tank cars in front. It a little larger than I have room for, but it has lots of stuff to think about.
    Johnny B

What era? Modern? Transition? If you go back into the steam era small refineries were a lot more common (particularly up here in Pennsylvania).

The 'piping and stack' part of refineries is usually only about 15-20% of the total size. Storage tanks are the big real estate eaters. Can you put tanks on the backdrop?

The refinery here in my hometown is considered a 'small refinery' by current standards, and the whole complex from end to end is still stretched out nearly a mile.

N Scale Kits:Randgust Home Terminal
    Logging Prototype: Wheeler & Dusenbury / Hickory Valley Railroad
    Albuquerque Third District in N Scale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by randgust View Post
    What era? Modern? Transition? If you go back into the steam era small refineries were a lot more common (particularly up here in Pennsylvania).

The 'piping and stack' part of refineries is usually only about 15-20% of the total size. Storage tanks are the big real estate eaters. Can you put tanks on the backdrop?

The refinery here in my hometown is considered a 'small refinery' by current standards, and the whole complex from end to end is still stretched out nearly a mile.
    I'm modeling modern desert country. I don't know a lot about this kind of industry but as I drive along the interstates I see all sort of sites. I don't know what they are only they have a lot of piping and cylinder tanks. Some are very Large with thousands of lights all over them that can be seen for miles away. I'm thinking small maybe 2 or 3 15 to 20ft diameter tanks and racks of piping with chain link fencing.
    Johnny B

Blog Entries
    I just wanted to add that I'm interested in this for two reasons. 1) I have a lot of odd shaped spaces on my layout where I can't fit a building and 2) I have installed an awful lot of conduit as an electrician for 15 years before my current occupation and I look at piping as an art form.
    Johnny B

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperN06 View Post
    I'm modeling modern desert country. I don't know a lot about this kind of industry but as I drive along the interstates I see all sort of sites. I don't know what they are only they have a lot of piping and cylinder tanks. Some are very Large with thousands of lights all over them that can be seen for miles away. I'm thinking small maybe 2 or 3 15 to 20ft diameter tanks and racks of piping with chain link fencing.
    You could try thinking chemical plant instead of refinery. Same general look of tanks, equipment, and piping, but usually on a much smaller scale. You still get to use tank cars.

Refineries tend to be large (although as Randgust has pointed out there are smaller ones) because they usually have several different units, plus crude storage and product tankage. While there are large chemical or petrochemical complexes, there are a lot of small, single unit plants.

Generally speaking, no one is going to know enough about the business to criticize your work as long as you get the general feel.

Regards

Ed

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne in "Sands of Iwo Jima"

See my RAILIMAGES album

Blog Entries
    Here is a pic of my scratchbuilt "THE Ferttilizer and Herbicide Company". The red tanks are just a couple of alluminum spray bottles bought at the dollar store. The piping and such is made from stuff I had just laying around. Was a fun little project.]

:tb-biggrin:

TrainBoard Attached Thumbnails TrainBoard Attached Thumbnails GEDC0069.jpg  
    George...Proud owner and operator of : T.H.E.R.R.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness"
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    You could try thinking chemical plant instead of refinery. Same general look of tanks, equipment, and piping, but usually on a much smaller scale. You still get to use tank cars.
    ----
    Generally speaking, no one is going to know enough about the business to criticize your work as long as you get the general feel.

Regards

Ed
    Yes I think you may be right Ed, I only used the word "Refinery" because that was what the Walthers Cornerstone kits were called. And I did want it to look real.

Quote Originally Posted by mtntrainman View Post
    Here is a pic of my scratchbuilt "THE Ferttilizer and Herbicide Company". The red tanks are just a couple of alluminum spray bottles bought at the dollar store. The piping and such is made from stuff I had just laying around. Was a fun little project.]
    :tb-biggrin:.
    And "THE Ferttilizer and Herbicide Company" is very interesting. I think I might be able to do something like that. Thatís very nice, good job.:thumbs_up:
    Johnny B

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtntrainman View Post
    Here is a pic of my scratchbuilt "THE Ferttilizer and Herbicide Company". .
    George, I've been looking at your "THE Fertilizer and Herbicide Company" and I was wondering if you had anymore photos from other angles.
    Thanks
    Johnny B