Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

show me your 2x4 layouts!

Well, i saw a hollow core dore request, and figured i'd follow up with this one. In the near future i'm going to request 4x8's as well.

I'm about to start building a 2x4 layout of my own based on a few other designs and i figured i'd take a look at what everybody else is doing. I know that there are books out there that cover design, but i'm more interested in how others have interpreted, modified, and scenic'd their layouts. so keep 'em coming and maybe we can out do the current 101 posts of the hollow core door layouts

I see and hear of people begging for 2x4 ideas all the way through, and mikes track plans page is great, but for those wanting a 'layout tour' of sorts, i think showing an actual working plan, or constructions phases may be better off.

-Rob
    Last edited by theskunk; August 23rd, 2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: forgot stuff...

Here's my idea - just knocked it up!

Roughly based on the layout of Etter Meat Packing plant in Texas. Randomly order half a dozen cars on the spur leading to the mainline, with the switcher loco at the tip (since there's no runaround). I have put cars on the spots on the layout to show an example of how they'd end up.

Boxcars go to the hide loading or package unloading. Stock cars go to the cattle unloading, reefers go to the meat loading and coal goes to the powerplant in the top corner.
    Last edited by E-8; November 17th, 2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Fix broken image

I assume you are looking for N scale:

Here are three variations on the theme of a shops area.

These use Walthers kits, some of which has been discontinued but are available now with a new name. You can read the full story of these 2X4 N scale layouts here:
    Ops at the Shops in N
    Last edited by cuyama; October 30th, 2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: fixed images, updated link

Here's my layout design:

I've been working on it off and on for about 2 years now.

Here's a photo I took tonight:

Never mind that switcher sitting off the tracks. :-)

Greg

Blog Entries

I couldn't resist.......I just couldn't..........

Oh, no problem- I just thought you were taking the concept of "road switcher" to another level for a minute there.......:tb-biggrin:

Yes, yes, I know..........shaddap Bob...................:tb-rolleyes:

BTW- nice little plan there. What make of track did you use?

Ship IT on the FRISCO!
    photo albums , weblog , YouTube , HCD Society

Catch us on Facebook!

Oh, you wanted 2x4. Sorry this one is only 2x3...

Kenneth,

2x4 or not, your plan continues to amaze me, what you've fit in a 2x3 space, passing siding or not has been an inspiration to me. I'm planning on doing something similar to that, only i'm going to take the left over board and make a folding shelf for staging, another industry, etc. You've got a PM requesting the rest of your pictures on that layout.

Greg, I love that! you've fit so much operation into a seriously small space, withought making it look like a spaghetti bowl -- 6 industries + team track? absolutely awesome.

Keep them coming guys, i know alot of new modelers are looking at this thread as inspiration (i'm heading to lowes today for benchwork material!)

-Rob

The industries that are on the right side of the photo of my 2x4 layout are based around the timesaver switching puzzle.
    Last edited by GregK; August 25th, 2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by GregK View Post
    Here's my layout design:

I've been working on it off and on for about 2 years now.

Here's a photo I took tonight:

Never mind that switcher sitting off the tracks. :-)

Greg
    Very nicely done considering the small size of the layout! Good operating potential as well.

OK, now these aren't 2x4 either; they're actually a lot smaller. The Hickory Valley was in the August 86 MR; track plan is there. It's only 18 x 36", and is a hidden loop-to-loop with a 4% grade. Basic theme is a sawmill with a log dump, a lumber loading spur, a company store spur, shop tracks, and a storage track. All based on prototype, scratchbuilt structures:

The lower loop has a staging track, as well, that doubles as an off-layout interchange

Now, I've designed and built (through roadbed, at least) the stand-alone / companion "Ross Run" module, which attaches to the HVRR and achieves a lot of goals:

1) It's only 21 x 42 inches, so it fits in the same space
    2) Slightly wider curves 9 3/4 to keep the Atlas Shay happy
    3) Eastern Logging theme from woods to log pond
    4) lots of hidden storage tracks underneath to allow all my logging power to have their own train
    5) a switchback to show off the RH side of a shay climbing uphill
    6) 4% grades max
    7) Works by itself or tied to the existing HV; either way; totally portable.
    8) provides continuous running for the two layouts tied together (nice for shows)
    9) provides a link to the next module in the series; the West Hickory bridge over the Allegheny River and the interchange with the PRR - but off the lower level from the original HV so everything is in sequence.

See why it took so long to design???? Getting all that in took some work! It looks like a bowl of spaghetti but most of that track is hidden under the scenery.

That doesn't include the storage yard underneath though. Remember I'm working with single small steam and 4-5 25' log cars on this.

There's a bunch of wierd features. The width difference lets me put the tail track for the upper switchback BEHIND the existing HVRR layout, mounted on the back of the backdrop. The upper level connects at the log pond, the lower level at the hidden spur, and the lower level track 'off' in the center leads to the next module....someday.

Yeah, I'm nuts.

N Scale Kits:Randgust Home Terminal
    Logging Prototype: Wheeler & Dusenbury / Hickory Valley Railroad
    Albuquerque Third District in N Scale