Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

What was your first piece of N scale equipment?

I got to thinking about the thread about your favorite N scale equipment and then started trying to remember what was the first thing I ever either bought or was given. And in all honesty Im not sure what it was. I believe it would have been an Atlas train set purchased at a department store in Peru Indiana called G C Murphys. Probably the C liner with a couple of cars, a loop of track and a transformer. I think it went for around $12. How about sharing your story of your first n scale stuff?
    Keep on rockin in the free world

Bachmann 0-6-0 Christmas Train Set.
    Bob:tb-biggrin:

Santa Fe Super Chief
    Western Pacific California Zephyr
    Southern Pacific "Morning Daylight"
    Union Pacific Streamliner
    Broadway Limited

"Yeah, that's what I want is more." Edward G. Robinson in "Key largo."

Visit My RailImage Albums

A Model Power Train Set with a CP Rail Alco c-420 ... used it so much that I burnt out the motor on it lol

Cheers
    Adam
    Home of the Unreliable and Recycled RR.

I had been into HO for many years and one winter around 2000 or so I got bored with it and I had noticed the N scale equipment at Caboose Hobbies in Denver. I was intrigued with the notion of how much track and detail I could have in a small space and I thought the detail and quality of the N scale equipment had reached a point that was acceptable.

I bought a Micro-Trains Table Top train set. It seemed a little pricey I recall, but it had a Kato UP SD40, a number of freight cars, and an oval of Atlas snap track. What started as a whim or an experiment to fight off boredom has now become an obsession.

My first was some N scale stuff I got for my Son back about 1990..My first train was a American Flyer set for "Santa" in 1953...My first HO was a Blue Box 40 foot Box Car and a 9 inch piece of atlas Track set on the TV in 1967....Jerry

In 1997 I switched from HO to N , and while I was consigning my brass HO's at The Caboose in Wolcott Conn I picked up an N scale Key UP 2-8-0 #332 , re-lettered it UP 618 , since then I got another waiting for re-lettering .

Blog Entries
    An Atlas C liner for my son with a layout built to his height at age 2. He was not tall enough for my HO layout. Don't know if it was the C liner or not but his interest in trains did not last for long. I caught the N Scale bug from the Atlas Pacific, my first. The cute factor got me.

Ben
    I'm not a child. I'm a hobbyist!
    -WKRP's "The Big Guy" as his N Scale train travels a loop of track on his office desk.

When I was about 8 my Grandparents got me a small N Scale set with the Plymouth switcher and a couple coal cars, a small oval, and power pack. My Dad got a small board and set the oval up and I would spend hours running that thing non-stop around the track.

Ship and travel Santa Fe.....all the way!
    Copyright 2008 Jerry DeBene

A Atlas E8 that came in a train set with 3 or 4 cars and a caboose.This was my first N Scale train set..The year was 1968.
    Larry

Summerset Ry.

Blog Entries
    My brother gave me these along with some cars and a small layout for Christmas in either 1963 or 64. Was not called N but 000.

My first locomotive that was called N Gauge was given to me by my brother in 1967. First time I ever saw Rapido couplers and I thought they were great compared to the contraptions on the locomotives above.
    Russell Straw, Sugar Land Route