PDA

View Full Version : CSX commercials on the Rush Limbaugh show

oldrk
January 14th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Been hearing CSX commercials during Rush Limbaugh show. Pretty cool.

Tim Loutzenhiser
January 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I can just barely get Rush here in Holland (radio station is in Grand Rapids) - I'll tune in tomorrow and check out the ad...

mmi16
January 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I'd hate to wade through the time with Rush just to hear a commercial.

SteveM76
January 14th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Ha Ha!!!! No kidding!

SteamDonkey74
January 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM

LOL! Maybe you can hear the commercial on CSX's website or maybe someone has put a video version on youtube.

I am way out of CSX territory so I would miss it even if I did wade through a day of talk radio.

How is the commercial? Anything interesting or exciting?

Adam

Stourbridge Lion
January 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM

There is always the MUTE, TIVO, VCR Fast Forward, etc. methods to get around that.

:tb-wink: :tb-wink: :tb-wink: :tb-wink:

BoxcabE50
January 14th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I would wonder if those commercials are local, or regional? Would it really be worth paying for national airing, to areas far from their service?

Boxcab E50

SteamDonkey74
January 14th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I would wonder if those commercials are local, or regional? Would it really be worth paying for national airing, to areas far from their service?

Boxcab E50

If I were CSX I wouldn't bother paying to market to the western states since we're way out of their area.

I would imagine that each station that picks up a show like Rush Limbaugh gets to go hustle some of its own advertising, unless Rush himself is reading the CSX ad. I would imagine that would be considered risky since Snapple got such a bad reaction from people who don't care for Rush's views when he was promoting their drinks himself.

My wife can have a four-pager blown into the local paper picking out ZIP code areas she wants to focus on. I would imagine that radio advertisers can make some specifications as to their market, too.

oldrk
January 15th, 2008, 12:36 AM
You can hear it streaming audio on www.wowo.com (http://www.wowo.com)

A local northeastern Indiana radio station. The commercial talks about the fact they can haul a ton of freight 400 miles with one gallon of fuel. Then says something like dont you wish you were driving a train? Well heck yes I do.*L*

SteveM76
January 15th, 2008, 12:57 AM
There are t.v. commercials out here too. One starts out showing a Civic hybid and says, "What can this car do for the environment? Not near as much as the car that is carrying it." It then goes on to tell about how trains can move so many tons at such distances on one gallon of fuel. Pretty cool commercial given the fact that the average American has no idea what trains haul and how effective railroads are. We also have CSX billboards that say, "Some people see a bright light just BEFORE they die" posted up around road crossings.

BoxcabE50
January 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
On a completely unrelated radio broadcast, this morning, I did hear a CSX commercial. Is there more than one version? Anyhow, I'd have to guess they're targeting a national audience.

Boxcab E50

Tim Loutzenhiser
January 16th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Heard one of the CSX spots on our local AM radio station this morning. Of course we have the CSX line running right through Holland to Chicago.

oldrk
January 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Heard the same one preceded by a different one. The one I hadnt heard before was about the increase in fuel efficiency and emmisions.

E-8
January 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm playing them now. We just have one :30 from the network.

Charlie

Flash Blackman
January 17th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I have heard a few now. They must be done or approved by the CSX marketing section and I assume they are somewhat accurate. I haven't heard similar promotional advertising from other companies, but I would assume UP or BNSF would get something out there. What about CP/CN?

SteamDonkey74
January 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I don't quite understand why they are advertising in the mass market. Are there really that many potential rail shippers in the general population? It seems like the money would be better spent doing some targeted wining and dining of certain shippers, or spent doing some heavy duty analysis for targeted shippers on the amount of money they COULD be saving by shipping by rail vs. truck.

I would be cautious about advertising only on politically-oriented shows, especially ones that have such a well-known political bent, but maybe CSX has information that their target market are mostly Ditto-heads.

oldrk
January 17th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I know! Rush bought CSX!!!!!

wurlitzer153
January 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
On a somewhat related note, Glenn Beck's TV show sometimes has a segment sponsored by CSX.

mmi16
January 22nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
I don't quite understand why they are advertising in the mass market. Are there really that many potential rail shippers in the general population? It seems like the money would be better spent doing some targeted wining and dining of certain shippers, or spent doing some heavy duty analysis for targeted shippers on the amount of money they COULD be saving by shipping by rail vs. truck.

I would be cautious about advertising only on politically-oriented shows, especially ones that have such a well-known political bent, but maybe CSX has information that their target market are mostly Ditto-heads.

Corporate Decision makers are traditionally politically conservative and their viewing interests historically gravitate toward the types of programing the CSX is sponsoring. While the CSX market is not ditto-heads, the market is on the right side of the political spectrum.

maintainance in the way
January 23rd, 2008, 03:21 AM

Boxcab E50

Dont forget potential stock hoders..........

BoxcabE50
January 23rd, 2008, 03:30 AM
Dont forget potential stock hoders..........

Good point.

Boxcab E50

NCGrimbo
January 25th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I found a few by googling CSX and Commercial. Not the radio ones, but tv.

YouTube - 2007 CSX Commercial
YouTube - CSX Commercial - How Tomarrow Moves (2 of 2)

SteamDonkey74
January 25th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Corporate Decision makers are traditionally politically conservative and their viewing interests historically gravitate toward the types of programing the CSX is sponsoring. While the CSX market is not ditto-heads, the market is on the right side of the political spectrum.

But if they are true fiscal conservatives they wouldn't throw their money away on ads that might not be reaching their target audience. Maybe they've done the research and have found that their target audience is the ditto-head community.

CSX can advertise however they want. I personally think it would make more sense to go after the few people that might be in a position to make the decisions that would benefit the business, rather than, say, potentially alienate some large shippers who dislike Rush and associate advertisers on his show with particular political positions that they do not support.

BoxcabE50
January 26th, 2008, 01:28 AM
CSX can advertise however they want. I personally think it would make more sense to go after the few people that might be in a position to make the decisions that would benefit the business, rather than, say, potentially alienate some large shippers who dislike Rush and associate advertisers on his show with particular political positions that they do not support.

Adam-

You've lost me here. Outside of trade publications, how do you go after those "few people?" Where is a public venue that is so narrowly focused to this small group? Also, I can't follow your seperating business decision makers from shippers. Surely they are one and the same.

:confused:

Boxcab E50

oldrk
January 26th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Chances are that people who hate Rush dont listen to his show anyway. And Rush is real pro buisnes. That evil conservative!!

Route 66
January 26th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Rush Limbaugh? what is this world coming to?

E-8
January 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Let's not get into debating Rush Limbaugh or other types of programming please. The commercials are airing on major networks - including the ABC Radio Network which is why I am playing them. I'm sure their ad agency made mass buys across the network spectrum.

Charlie

oldrk
January 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Im sure those commercials are on Air America. Of course no one will hear them....

SteamDonkey74
January 28th, 2008, 08:03 PM
You've lost me here. Outside of trade publications, how do you go after those "few people?" Where is a public venue that is so narrowly focused to this small group? Also, I can't follow your seperating business decision makers from shippers. Surely they are one and the same.

Well, CSX has apparently decided that you broadcast to everyone. That's their business.

It's not like we're selling beer or tires or jeans here. CSX provides a service that only a very small segment of the population - shippers near rail or with a spur, in this case - can choose to use. Most of the rest of us don't have any such need of rail freight transportation.

Adam

SteamDonkey74
January 31st, 2008, 09:56 PM
CSX has become an underwriter of "All Things Considered" on National Public Radio. Still, I don't know where this gets them, except that maybe they are hoping that by doing this that they will reach the .001% of the NPR and the Rush Limbaugh audiences that will actually have some reason to ship something via CSX.

One thing I liked is that they point out in the announcement that CSX can haul one ton of carge 400-some miles on a single gallon of fuel. We might have less of the NIMBY crud if people just sat down with a piece of paper and figured out what that means for saving fuel and reducing pollution (not to mention keeping quite a few trucks off the road).

BoxcabE50
January 31st, 2008, 10:15 PM
CSX has become an underwriter of "All Things Considered" on National Public Radio. Still, I don't know where this gets them, except that maybe they are hoping that by doing this that they will reach the .001% of the NPR and the Rush Limbaugh audiences that will actually have some reason to ship something via CSX.

This is the only way you can reach those potential people. It's marketing via mass medium. You cast the largest net available, hoping to land as many fish as possible. There is no other method for reaching those potential shippers.

Also, depending upon your situation, which I am certain they looked at it carefully, you may gain a small finanical benefit, at tax time, by such sponsoring.

Boxcab E50

SteamDonkey74
January 31st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Probably so.