PDA

View Full Version : Where are the NYC people??

Station Master
June 5th, 2000, 04:04 PM
I thought this forum would be hoping with activity, like the NYC Homepage forum. Where is everyone who loved this once great line?

fitz
June 5th, 2000, 10:53 PM
I am wondering the same thing. Sent a post a month ago and there has been no traffic at all. I check the NYCS site every day and it doesn't have much traffic either.
While here, is there any one out there with personal memories or photos of the NYCS wreck at Little Falls, NY in 1940 on the infamous "Gulf Curve?"

cwindes
June 13th, 2000, 06:59 PM
All I have are some newspaper photos of some engines derailed in the snow up around Robinson IL, and do not have the ability to put them on the net

cwindes
June 13th, 2000, 07:05 PM
Just a little background for me, My father who is 79 this year was employed as an Engineer/ Fireman on the N.Y.C Railroad from shortly after WWII until they went to ConJob in the early 80s we lived, and still live in the small town of Mt. Carmel IL. We had a Round house(almost a complete circle, and I understand at one time it was complete) and a huge yards system. The Engines for the Cario branch were stored here,(Steam that is) until the mid-fifties when the were sent off to be scraped. The City Fathers never wanted the railroad here even though it gave quite a few jobs. More later. CAW

Maxwell Plant
June 14th, 2000, 04:43 AM
I love the Central! One problem, I have another that I love more. I model the current day BNSF in N-Scale. If I back-dated, I would model the ATSF out of Chicago and would include the NYC, CRI&P, Wabash and others. This would make me come here more often. But I really enjoy modeling todays rail action, sorry.

------------------
RAILROADING-TO-THE-MAX, Burlington Northern/Santa Fe Style!
Brent Tidaback, Member #234

Station Master
June 15th, 2000, 03:57 PM
Well, this place needs to come back alive. If anyone is interested, I have a web site up on the Ottawa Division (finally) but I'm working on why the thing is showing the pages as files and you have to pick anyone of them to start. Heck, even the pics aren't coming up.

rhensley@anderson.cioe.co
June 15th, 2000, 05:28 PM
Well, the Central and the Pennsy both were big players in my area of Indiana. Virtually all traces of the PRR are gone but the Central survives in the CCC&StL (NYC) 2 track main from Indy to Cleveland. It just passed to CSX from CR as the NYC tracks and properties here were divided between CSX and NS. The Central's passenger station in downtown Anderson still survives as home for a ballet troup and is scheduled for renovation this fall.

I have recorded some information about the central along with pictures and remembrances on my Railroads of Madison County (Indiana) pages at: http://madisonrails.railfan.net/ so stop by and take a look if you wish.

Station Master, if you will drop me a line with your URL, I'll be happy to take a look and see if I can give you a hand with your web page problem.

I first got into this in January of '95 when I agreed to convert many of the N.M.R.A.'s Standards and Recommended Practices into HTML for putting up on the web. While I was doing this, I saw the need for our division to advertise a regional convention and converted our information and put it up on my personal site. Afterward, my offer to host our division's site was accepted and I began to add pages of information, schedules and activities.

My prototype site came when I moved the CID site to get more room. This allowed me to put up an ongoing RR history of my county. That was followed by adding my ECI HO RR site to the CID layouts pages and the addition of e-passes. I have since moved both the CID, ECI and RR of Madison County pages to much larger space and have taken on one hobby manufacturer as Webmaster.

Am I an HTML whiz? Nope. I just do what I need to do to keep things together and downloading quickly.

Roger

Roger Hensley
rhensley@anderson.cioe.com

== http://madisonrails.railfan.net/ ==
== Railroads of Madison County (Indiana) ==

rhensley@anderson.cioe.co
July 11th, 2000, 03:53 PM
As an addendum to where are the NYC people, I am on two NYC lists and neither is tremendously active. Both are on eGroups.
NYC-Railroad@egroups.com
NYC-RR@egroups.com

As an observation, NYC people don't seem to have the fever that PRR folks do.

Roger

Roger Hensley
rhensley@anderson.cioe.com

== http://madisonrails.railfan.net/ ==
== Railroads of Madison County (Indiana) ==