PDA

View Full Version : Challenge

JCater
January 28th, 2002, 01:55 AM
Here is a little challenge :D .
I challenge you freelancers of the world to freelance a building of any size, any shape over the next week. Sit down with your scrap box, then take a look at a magazine, find a picture of a building that might be right for the amount of scrap you have, and let your imagination run wild!
This challenge was actually suggested to me by my five-year-old who saw a picture of a track-side warehouse he liked. When I told him they didn't make that as a model he wondered off, coming back with the scrap box saying but YOU could build it Daddy :eek: ! We did (actually it took about four-hours to build, and we have not painted it yet). Remember freelance it...make it a faximile of the real structure with just the parts you have on hand!
I look forward to hearing how it goes over the next few days :D :D !!
John

Catt
January 28th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Good idea JC ,and for a prize we can offer a free lifetime membership in NARA. :D :D :D

JCater
January 28th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Yeah, and if it is a moderator, their salary will double!! Ilike doing these little projects because a) it keeps the extras box down to a managable level, and b) really tests the old "I wonder what I can do with this" aspect.
John

RevnJeff
January 29th, 2002, 09:03 AM
I've already done this with a couple buildings on my current layout.

When MR ran an article on a rail/truck transfer buliding, I scratch-built on out of styrene that I had laying around.

My grain elevator was made from PCV pipe. Now, there's a lot of missing detail, but maybe someday, I will go back and add it.

Right now, I am seriously considering a diseil fuel and sanding facility like in the latest (?) issue of RMC.

Jeff
Augsburg & Concord R.R.
(a fictional shortline in Central Illinois)
http://www.pegnsean.net/~revnjeff

Catt
January 29th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Does this qualifyas one?

http://www.boylerwerx.0catch.com/1-27-02.jpg

Everything used so far came from my stash of material on hand. :D

JCater
January 30th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Jeff,
I was looking at that same model and wondering if I could scratch it! Catt...you got it brother!!
John

cthippo
January 30th, 2002, 09:25 AM
I don't do buildings this way (yet) as my layout isin't even ready for track yet, but I do make loads. I go the the hardware section of the recycled building Materials store and start rooting through the bins. I have 2 simple criteria for what I'm looking for. If 1) I can't figure out what it is and 2) It will fit on a flat car, or better yet a gon, then it's a load. Add some scale lumber dunnage (cut from old pallets and such) and you have some pretty convincing loads, and at 50 cents a pound!

JCater
January 30th, 2002, 10:51 AM
I've created loads in a similar fashion...usually from junk in the back room at work. Like you say...if you can't tell what it is and it looks to scale I use it. I wonder if you could get enough wierd stuff from the hardware bin (or our back room) for a building of some sort...yeah...that's the ticket...I'll have to try that :D :D !!
John

Robin Matthysen
February 1st, 2002, 03:57 AM
Well John, when I saw this challenge I had to make something. I was in need of a large railway station that included office space for the administration of my M.A.T. railroad. This station to be located at the port of Tayside.
I have a book calledThe Old Railway Station Book so browsed through it and chose the 1889 Central Railroad of New Jersey ferry and Railroad Terminal at Jersey City.
Here is a photo from the book that I used as a pattern to make my model.
http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00157592f00000018.jpg
I made my N gauge model out of cardboard of various thicknesses including my favourite modelling material, cereal box cardboard. I painted it with acrylic water based paint that I find in our local $ store. I printed the windows and doors with my ink jet printer. I drew them using MS paint. Other odds and ends are toothpicks, some old jewellery, and a plastic test tube.
I still have to add details like the clock face and downspouts and final painting detail.
I just wanted to show what I have done so far this week. Here it is. It will be mounted at Tayside in the next day or two.
http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00157592f00000019.jpg

[ 31 January 2002, 22:02: Message edited by: Robin Matthysen ]

JCater
February 1st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Holy Cow!! That is unreal!! Just goes to show what a little ingenuity can do :D ! That is a great looking model. You will have to e-mail me some details on how you do this kind of thing...I have a large station that need building!!
John

Catt
February 1st, 2002, 08:52 AM
Good greif Robin,your getting as quick as Paul Templar with these buildings :D Looks great buddy.

Telegrapher
February 1st, 2002, 11:24 PM
That looks real great Robin. Paul Templer will be getting his compitition. :D

Robin Matthysen
February 2nd, 2002, 04:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys but I can tell you that I don't ever expect to get to the fantastic level that Paul Templar has achieved

Colonel
February 2nd, 2002, 04:18 AM
Robin,
Excellent work how long did it take you to build the station? Be sure to post pics of the station on your layout :D

JCater
February 3rd, 2002, 12:51 AM
I second that Robyn...can't wait to see it on the layout!
John

Robin Matthysen
February 3rd, 2002, 03:55 AM
It took me a week to get to the point where it was at when I took the picture with my cheepie digital camera. Really cheap because I got it free. I do this kind of thing while watching TV. I watch sports like the football playoffs and will even do some more while watching the Super bowl. I also watch movies, but NO sitcoms of any kind. About 15 hours but then I stop to watch a replay or some action in a movie so actual work time was closer to 10 hours. This station will be added to my layout but right now I am working to get the mainline complete. 90% done .

Catt
February 3rd, 2002, 10:48 AM
Hey JC ya want to see what that black blob looks like now it's down on the N scale forum. :D

JCater
February 3rd, 2002, 11:12 PM
Thanks Catt...I'll take a look ;) !!
John